- Graduate students
- Advanced course students
- Credited auditors
- Research students
- Credit transfer students
- Working auditing students
- Certified nurse trainees
Note: Certified nurse trainees can only use the Health Sciences Library.
A student ID (with a barcode) is required for admission. We will issue a library card if you do not have a student ID or your student ID does not have a barcode.
Bags, backpacks, etc. (non-transparent) may not be brought inside the Health Sciences Library. Put any items that you will not use in the lockers in front of the entrance gate. (Clear plastic bags that can be taken inside the library are available.)
Note: If you are taking a leave of absence, fill out the library use request (student on leave of absence) form and submit it at the counter.
Procedures for Library Card Issuance
Fill out the required items on the library card application form and submit it at the counter. Present documentation to verify that you are a student of the university (such as a researcher ID).
Come to the counter if there are changes to your registration details after the card is issued or if your card is lost or destroyed.
Attention to Library Users
- Please be quiet inside the library.
- Use library materials, equipment and facilities with care.
- Do not eat or drink inside the library. (Except in case food and drink are permitted.)
- Do not distribute printed materials or engage in solicitation inside the library without permission.
- Smoking is prohibited inside the library.
- Keep articles of value with you at all times.
- Do not talk on or charge your mobile phone inside the library.
- Refrain from behavior that may cause a nuisance to others.
Borrowing of Materials
Use the lending machine. A student ID or library card is required.
Materials that cannot be processed by the lending machine (such as audio-visual materials) can be borrowed at the counter.
Number of materials that may be borrowed and period:
|Number of books||Period|
|Undergraduates (including credit transfer students)
Advanced course students
Certified nurse trainees
|Graduate students (including credit transfer students)
Working auditing students
- Magazines (excluding bound Japanese magazines at the Central Library) and reference only materials cannot be borrowed.
- Audio-visual materials at the System Design Library can only be borrowed one at a time for a period of one week.
- Audio-visual materials at the Health Sciences Library can only be viewed at the library.
- Certified nurse trainees can only borrow materials at the Health Sciences Library.
Library-borrowed materials may be returned at any campus library. After hours, return materials using the book drop outside the library.
New materials cannot be borrowed if other materials are not returned by the deadline. You will be prohibited from borrowing materials again for the number of days you were late.
Loss/Damage of Materials
If you lose or damage materials, you will be required, in principle, to replace them. Notify the library immediately.
Extension of Borrowing Period
If no one has reserved the material before it is due back, the borrowing period may be extended (one time only; excluding those whose borrowing privileges have been temporarily revoked).
Perform the procedures using the lending machine. You can also perform the procedures using the online service (My Library)External Link.
The period may be extended for a full borrowing period from the date of the extension.
Reservations/Ordering from Other Libraries
Materials on-loan may be reserved, and materials at the libraries of other campuses can be shipped to the library.
Perform the procedures from the OPACExternal Link search results.
- If the “Reservation” button is not displayed, the material cannot be reserved or shipped from other libraries.
- If your borrowing privileges have been temporarily revoked, you cannot make reservations or have materials shipped from other libraries.
Requests for photocopies of an article from a book(periodicals)/Loan of a book
Copies of papers not kept at the library can be obtained from other institutions, and books may be borrowed. Perform the procedures using the online service (My Library)External Link.
Note: The user is responsible for actual charges. Costs and time required vary depending on the institution.
Book Purchase Requests
You can place requests for books you would like the library to carry.
Perform the procedures using the online service (My Library)External Link.
Use of Libraries of Affiliated Universities
Graduate students may use the libraries of Chuo University, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies and Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Sciences through a usage agreement. Check the appendixes (Adobe PDF126KB) for service details.
A referral letter is sometimes required when visiting the libraries of other universities and institutions. The campus library will inquire in advance and issue a referral letter if required. Apply using the online service (Application for Referral Letter).
Note: It will take approximately one week to issue the letter. Be sure to submit your application well in advance.
The library will answer questions regarding research. Inquire at the counter.
You can also use the online service (Online Reference).
Note: Working auditing students cannot use the following services:
Borrowing period extensions, reservations/ordering materials from other libraries, applications for photocopies of an article from a book(periodicals)/Loan of a book, book purchase requests, issuance of referral letters
See the individual library pages for details on their facilities.